Wednesday, May 30, 2007

In the wilderness

Gosh, but this baby stuff is tiring! And I have a very supportive husband and I'm surrounded by family, but it's still hard. But Patrick is doing well; putting on weight and eating like a little piglet. :) I gave up breastfeeding after about 10 days _ it was like banging my head against a wall full of nails. Just a constant and painful battle _ for all of us. I had to step back and ask myself what was best for all of us. That, and the night I had a screaming fit helped make the decision for me.
Luckily Patrick hasn't really noticed the difference and he's away on formula. Cue happy mother, happier father (who was worried about psychotic mother) and contented baby.
So we're all ticking over after a fashion. We're working a kind of half-assed routine around Patrick's feed time and taking turns with things like feeds, etc. J has to give him his baths because I still can't quite get down on the floor and get up easily; thanks to the ceasarean scar. But I'm recovering pretty well from that, I think. We've been out and about a couple of times; just minor outings to the library and the supermarket. I took Patrick into work yesterday to do the obligatory show-off-the-baby _ he slept through the whole thing!
He's a very contented baby; who would have thought that? He sleeps a lot and really only cries full on when his nappy is being changed. He hates that. So I'm grateful, because I know things could be very very very different.
Otherwise things are going okay. My family members keep popping up at random times and J's mother and sister are due for a week-long visit next Tuesday, so we'll just see how that goes.
I'm even managing to stitch a little and read a little here and there. It helps having a husband who does pretty much all the housework AND helps with the baby :).
That's really it for now.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on lasting 10 days with the breastfeeding hun. That's a day longer than I managed. It's harder and more painful than it looks. I had many a crying session over that in the first few days. God knows how women coped before formula!

I hope all these visitors aren't tiring you out too much. Make sure you get your rest girl.

Riley used to hate having his nappy changed too and I used to have to go into 'loud mode', singing nursery rhymes and silly songs, pulling faces, dancing round the room, tickling and pretending to do the striptease as his nappy was coming off. By the time he got to about 8 weeks he was giggling his head off at this mad 10 minute nappy change.

7:38 am  
Blogger Monsoon said...

Maree, Found you through your post on Abi's blog. Since I have a little girl on the way, I am going to follow your adventures too. (Congratulations on Patrick, I am sorry that you had to do the cesarian thing...I know that must have sucked!)

11:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Mummy! More pics of little Patrick required here! Getting new baby withdrawal symptoms he he he

8:13 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home