Thursday, January 04, 2007

It's a year tomorrow ...

... since my Dad died suddenly, at the age of 83. No, he wasn't young, but he was in good health. He and Mum still lived in their own house, he still gardened, visited 'the elderly' at a couple of rest homes, put his $1 bets on the horses and generally enjoyed his life. He had a massive heart attack in bed at home. Which, if he could have chosen, would have been the way he wanted to go _ he would have hated being sick, or fading away.
For selfish reasons, I wish that heart attack could have been put off _ just for a few more years. But it wasn't meant to be.
So that was how my year started, and naturally, it coloured the days, weeks and months that followed.
I was the youngest of five; very much a Daddy's girl, being a (relatively) late in life child for both parents.
I still miss my Dad every day; especially now that we're preparing for a baby of our own, who will never know his grandad.
My sister had her baby Jacob in February, making '06 hard for her in a different way.
I changed shifts at work in July, going from days back to nights, which was an ... interesting transition. It's been good overall, I think. I'm not a morning person by nature and I really did struggle with it - especially going back to work after Dad died.
Anyway. Moving right along.
Piper came to live with us in June; she was a sort-of rescue and I've blogged about that before.
I don't think I finished anything last year - maybe one chart. I'm hoping to do better this year. I'm also hoping to be more focused this year!
The midwife came yesterday and I not only heard the heartbeat (I always feel better when I can hear the heartbeat) but I 'heard' him move! B, the midwife, said "that sounds like little feet"; when she heard this kind of squishy sound through the monitor. I've been feeling him move for a while, but 'hearing' it? Very very cool!
I still need to decide what I'm going to do about my leave. And soon. Sigh.
And you know, I'm STILL waiting to hear about that job!
Pfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttt

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rowyn said...

Sending big hugs your way :0)

9:59 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

Sounds like you needs some *hugs* today hun - take care of yourselves

2:16 am  
Blogger Juls said...

((((((Hugs)))))))) My dad passed last february as well! Take care of yourself and your soon to be newborn!

7:43 pm  
Blogger Name: Vicki said...

I just found your blog and was reading your previous posts. My father died last Jan. 5t - 1 day after your father! My father was 76 years old and had had many health problems for years. But he was still able to take care of himself and my mom! I will be praying for you! Isn't it hard to lose a parent!?

5:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home